Police vehicles outside Wood Farm on Sandringham estate in Norfolk, EnglandPhoto by Ivan Dražić on Pexels

Police arrested Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, the younger brother of King Charles III and former Prince Andrew, early Thursday morning at his home in Norfolk, England. The arrest came on his 66th birthday over suspicion of misconduct in public office linked to documents from the Jeffrey Epstein case. Thames Valley Police held him for several hours before releasing him under investigation while searches wrapped up at properties in Norfolk and Berkshire.

Background

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor served as a British trade envoy in the early 2010s, traveling to places like Singapore, Hong Kong, and Vietnam to promote business deals. During that time, he stayed in close touch with Jeffrey Epstein, the American financier convicted of sex crimes who died in 2019. New files released by the U.S. Justice Department on January 30 showed emails where Andrew appeared to share reports from his trade trips with Epstein. These reports included details on investment chances that some say should have stayed private.

The connection between Andrew and Epstein goes back years. Epstein faced charges in 2008 for paying a minor for sex. Photos from 2001 show Andrew with Epstein and Ghislaine Maxwell, who later went to prison for sex trafficking. Virginia Giuffre, one Epstein survivor, sued Andrew in 2021, saying he abused her three times as a teen. That case ended in a settlement, but Andrew lost his military titles and royal patronages soon after. He stepped back from public duties, but kept his home at Royal Lodge until moving to Wood Farm on the Sandringham estate.

Last week, an anti-monarchy group called Republic pushed Thames Valley Police to look into the Epstein files. They pointed to the emails as proof Andrew might have broken rules by passing government info to a sex offender. Police confirmed a week ago they were checking the claims to see if a full probe was needed.

Key Details

Around 8 a.m. local time, six unmarked police cars pulled up to Wood Farm, Andrew's current home on King Charles's Sandringham property in eastern England. Officers searched the place for hours. Later reports placed police at Royal Lodge, his old home near Windsor Castle west of London. Thames Valley Police put out a statement saying they arrested a man in his 60s from Norfolk on suspicion of misconduct in public office. They did not name him, following standard rules.

Police Statement and Release

The police note said searches happened at addresses in Berkshire and Norfolk. By afternoon, they announced the man was released under investigation, free to go with no charges yet. The Norfolk search ended, but the Berkshire one kept going into the evening. Misconduct in public office can lead to a life sentence if charges stick and lead to conviction.

King Charles learned of the arrest and issued a statement through Buckingham Palace. He expressed deep concern and said the family backs the police fully.

"What now follows is the full, fair and proper process by which this issue is investigated in the appropriate manner and by the appropriate authorities. In this, as I have said before, they have our full and wholehearted support and co-operation. Let me state clearly: the law must take its course." – King Charles III

UK Prime Minister Keir Starmer spoke to reporters, stressing everyone stands equal before the law. U.S. President Donald Trump called it a sad day for the royals. Giuffre's siblings thanked police in a statement, saying no one is above the law, speaking for their sister who fought Epstein's network.

"At last, today, our broken hearts have been lifted at the news that no one is above the law, not even royalty." – Siblings of Virginia Roberts Giuffre

The Epstein files mention Andrew in other ways too. A 2015 message from Ghislaine Maxwell to Epstein recalled a 2001 meeting in London where a photo was taken of Andrew with friends, including one linked to Giuffre's claims.

What This Means

This arrest marks a new turn in the long shadow of the Epstein scandal over the British royal family. Andrew already faced heavy fallout from his Epstein friendship, including losing public funding and royal perks. Now, police focus not just on old abuse claims but on his actions as trade envoy. Sharing sensitive trade info with Epstein raises questions about security and judgment during official work.

The release under investigation means no charges right now, but the probe goes on. Police can question Andrew more, dig through documents, and talk to witnesses. If they find enough, charges could come later. For the royals, it adds pressure on King Charles, who has tried to distance the family from Andrew while keeping family ties.

Buckingham Palace said last week they would help police if asked. Andrew has denied wrongdoing in the past, settling the Giuffre suit without admitting fault. Survivors and watchdogs see this as a step toward accountability. American lawmakers have asked who's next in the Epstein web, pointing to calls for U.S. action.

The story stays live as police wrap searches and review evidence. Andrew's status hangs in balance, with his homes now tied to the case. Thames Valley Police lead the work, and more details may come out soon. The royal family watches closely, with Charles backing the legal path ahead.

Author

  • Tyler Brennan

    Tyler Brennan is a breaking news reporter for The News Gallery, delivering fast, accurate coverage of developing stories across the country. He focuses on real time reporting, on scene updates, and emerging national events. Brennan is recognized for his sharp instincts and clear, concise reporting under pressure.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *