About 1,500 active-duty soldiers from the US Army are on standby in Alaska, ready to be deployed to Minneapolis if President Donald Trump decides to send them into the city. The soldiers belong to two infantry battalions of the 11th Airborne Division, stationed at Fort Wainwright in Fairbanks. The move comes as protests have intensified in Minneapolis following recent shootings involving Immigration and Customs Enforcement officers and amid a major federal immigration enforcement operation in the Twin Cities.
Background
Tensions in Minneapolis escalated dramatically after January 7, when an ICE agent fatally shot Renee Good in south Minneapolis. The incident sparked daily demonstrations in the city, with protesters targeting federal immigration enforcement operations. The Department of Homeland Security has significantly ramped up immigration enforcement activity in the Twin Cities region, bringing in more than 2,000 federal officers to conduct operations.
These developments set the stage for President Trump's threat on Thursday. Trump posted on Truth Social that he would invoke the Insurrection Act if Minnesota officials failed to stop what he called "professional agitators and insurrectionists" from attacking ICE agents.
"If the corrupt politicians of Minnesota don't obey the law, and stop the professional agitators and insurrectionists from attacking the Patriots of I.C.E., who are only trying to do their job, I will institute the INSURRECTION ACT," Trump wrote.
The Insurrection Act is a federal law that allows a president to deploy military forces or federalize National Guard troops within the United States to address domestic disturbances, rebellions, or obstructions of federal law.
Key Details
Defense officials confirmed to news organizations that the Pentagon has placed the 1,500 soldiers on prepare-to-deploy orders. However, no final decision has been made on whether to actually send them to Minneapolis. The soldiers remain in Alaska, ready to move if ordered.
State Response
Minnesota Governor Tim Walz has taken his own steps to address the situation. He issued a warning order earlier this month to prepare the Minnesota National Guard in response to the ICE shooting. On Saturday, Walz mobilized the National Guard, though troops have not yet been deployed to city streets. The state's Department of Public Safety said the National Guard members are standing by and ready to support local law enforcement and public safety agencies if needed.
The Protests
Protests have occurred daily since the immigration enforcement operation intensified. On Saturday, hundreds of counterprotesters confronted a conservative influencer who had organized a pro-ICE demonstration at Minneapolis City Hall. Police reported that crowds blocked roadways multiple times, and officers deployed resources to direct people to sidewalks and clear areas.
City and state leaders have repeatedly urged community members to remain peaceful and lawful during demonstrations. Minneapolis Police said that crowds were generally responsive to police directives asking them to move from roadways.
What This Means
The decision to place soldiers on standby represents an extraordinary step in response to domestic protests. While the Pentagon and White House have not commented publicly on the preparations, the move signals that federal officials are considering military intervention if the situation escalates further.
The presence of both active-duty soldiers on standby and mobilized National Guard units creates a layered response option for officials. The National Guard, controlled by the governor, represents the first line of state defense, while active-duty troops would indicate a federal intervention at Trump's direction.
For Minneapolis residents and protesters, the military preparations add another dimension to an already tense situation. The city continues to grapple with the aftermath of the January 7 shooting and the broader immigration enforcement operation. Community leaders have emphasized the importance of peaceful demonstration, warning that escalation could trigger the deployment of military forces.
The situation remains fluid. As of Saturday, no troops have been deployed to city streets, and officials say the standby orders are precautionary. Whether Trump will ultimately order the deployment depends on how the situation develops in the coming days.
